Steven Rolfe Powell Blown Glass Sculptural Vessel
Steven Rolfe Powell (American, 1951 – 2019)
Untitled (vessel), late 20th century
Blown glass sculptural vessel
Artist and educator Stephen Rolfe Powell was born in Birmingham, Alabama in 1951. Powell studied ceramics and sculpture at Centre College in Danville, Kentucky, receiving his BFA in 1974. After graduation, Powell returned to Birmingham, and began his life-long career as artist-educator, working as an art instructor. To continue his own practice and education, Powell attended Louisiana State University from 1980 to 1983. During this time, Powell was introduced to the art of hot glass, which changed his artistic trajectory. Immediately after completing his masters degree, Powell was hired as a professor of ceramics and sculpture at his alma mater, Centre College. While teaching, Powell honed his new skill in hot glass, and founded the glass curriculum at Centre College in 1985. Making a name for himself in this new medium, Powell designed a glass studio, which was inaugurated as Centre College’s Jones Visual Arts Center in 1998. He continued his career as artist-educator until his passing in 2019, receiving multiple awards including the Distinguished Educator Award from the James Renwick Alliance in Washington D.C.
- Please note, this is an item that may be especially difficult to move and/or transport. Unless the shipping option is selected, the winner is responsible for bringing appropriate assistance, vehicle, proper materials, and any necessary tools to pickup.
- Please note, this item is highly fragile and/or requires custom packing. Additional handling time should be expected.
- some nicks, scratches, and abrasions throughout; dust and debris to the surface; minimal scratches at the base.
- chair is shown for scale only and is not included with vase
- measurements are approximate.